Charge Nurse - Mobile
Are you seeking an opportunity that makes a difference? Are you passionate about meeting new people? Do you want your talents to have an impact in your community, across the country, and around the world?
If your answer is "yes," then we invite you to become a Staff Nurse for the American Red Cross!
Nationwide, we collect over 5 million units of blood annually, and the need continues to grow.
From leading our blood collection team, to going above and beyond to ensure that all donors have an optimum donor experience, as a Staff Nurse you will lead a team, draw blood and may be required to supervise blood drives. To learn more about the life-saving impact our employees have every day, watch this short video:
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS AND KNOWLEDGE
Education and Experience: Current and valid licensure as a registered professional nurse in both Pennsylvania and/or New Jersey. Renewal of licenses as dictated by the states is required for continued employment.
Job Knowledge and Skills
- Basic computer skills are desirable.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of current CFR's, BSD's and LOP's.
- Must have good problem-solving skills for technical and operational issues.
- Must have excellent communication skills.
- Must have good organizational skills and be able to handle multiple priorities.
- Must be able to motivate and lead staff to achieve blood services blood collection goals.
- Must have proven customer service skills.
- Must have current adult CPR certification.
- Must be able to guide and motivate staff and donors to achieve blood services goals.
Staff Nurse Job Responsibilities
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Ensure that all blood collection operations are conducted in accordance with Blood Services Directives, the Code of Federal Regulations, Department LOP's.
- Responsible for maintaining skill levels with all modern and automated standards of blood collection available, including but not limited to all computer and technical collection advancements.
- When functioning as a lead person, duties include:
- Assist the Senior Manager - Operations in assuring efficient operation of the mobile.
- Serve as designee for Senior Manager - Operations when she/he is on break or at lunch/dinner.
- Assess donor flow and circulate throughout the mobile performing medical histories, venipunctures and automated collection procedures as needed.
- Serve as an additional resource for staff for medical questions, difficult venipunctures and vein selection.
- Assist Senior Manager - Operations in contacts with Operational Link Office.
- Ensure care and security of electronic and automated equipment.When functioning as a charge person in the absence of a Senior Manager - Operations, additional duties include:
- Serve as the person in charge of the blood collection operation.
- Direct and coordinate staff assignments.
- Complete the Operation Record and the SOS form.
- Communicate with chairperson regarding goal attainment, donor flow, problems, and site issues.
- Serve as a resource to all registered nurses, donor collection assistants, BCSS and volunteers for medical questions, vein selection, customer service.
- Assure that donors receive proper medical care/transportation to hospital as needed after injury/reactions.
- Assure that volunteers, BCSS and other collection staff perform their duties efficiently, effectively and professionally.
- Communicate with Operational Link Office regarding hourly SOS calls, site, equipment or other issues.
- Proactive in attaining collection goal.
- In charge of autologous collections in hospitals and donor centers as assigned.
- In charge of mobiles/donor centers while Senior Managers - Operations are on PTO.
- Oversee special collections and/or emergency blood needs per local operating procedures/directives.
- Foster open communication in a collaborative effort with site directors, donor groups, recruitment staff and others as necessary.
- Ensure that all pertinent records are accurate and complete.
- Perform health histories as needed. Act as resource regarding complex medical history questions.
- Perform venipunctures as needed. Act as resource for vein selection and venipuncture.
- Consult with Senior Manager - Operations regarding staff discipline or remedial training.
- Ensure care and security of electronic and automated equipment.
- Demonstrate a progressive approach to staff motivation by:
- Treat staff with respect.
- Serve as a communication liaison between staff and Senior Managers - Operations.
- Function as a positive role model at all times.
- Keep staff informed of expectations, recent memos and changes in policy and procedure.
- Encourage growth and development of staff.
- Provide for the maximum utilization of skills and abilities of personnel.
- Coach and counsel blood collection staff.
- Act as liaison in representing needs and interest of staff to Collections administration.
- Contribute to the development of Collections policies and procedures.
- Participate in education and training of paid staff and volunteers.
SERVICE EXCELLENCE STANDARDS
The American Red Cross Blood Services, Penn-Jersey Region has a fundamental principle of "Service Excellence." The total objective of Service Excellence is a major responsibility of each Red Cross staff member and volunteer.
The services provided by this position are critical to the following:
- Donors, volunteers, and co-workers.
- Staff within all the departments of the region.
The principles critical to Service Excellence are:
- Providing the highest quality blood products and collection services possible.
- Working to assure that the service public are satisfied with the quality and efficiency of site activities.