Come bring your ASCP Clinical Lab Scientist (CLS) or Medical Technologist (MT) license and passion for blood banking to support the life-saving mission of the American Red Cross Blood Services.
We are looking for two full-time Medical Technologists to work in our RICHMOND, VA reference lab performing specialized testing to serve our local hospital clients. After training, the work schedule will be Evening shift M-F 4:00 pm to 12:30 am.
As a Medical Technologist at the Red Cross, you will perform basic and advanced donor and patient tests, and interpret results to determine donor-recipient compatibility.
Primary job responsibilities may include:
* Resolving compatibility problems
* Providing complex reference and consultation services to hospitals and transfusion services
* Performing automated and manual test procedures on blood samples
Other Medical Technologist duties may include:
* Managing receipt, coordination, shipment, and transport of patient and donor blood samples and documenting supply and equipment problems
* Managing reagent inventory (ordering, receiving, inspection and preparation)
* Recognizing/resolving testing irregularities and assisting other Medical Technologists in problem resolution.
* Consulting with staff at other medical facilities, to resolve complex serologic problems and providing special units to transfusion recipients
* Performing maintenance, repair, and validation of laboratory equipment and software
* Maintaining accurate records
* Performing manufacturing duties associated with special blood products, if applicable
* Assuming lead responsibilities such as record review and training; assisting in concern management
* Technologist I: BS in Biological Science or Chemistry with ASCP (MT/MLS/CLS or BB) OR ASCP MLT with 4 years of general lab experience.
* Technologist II: BS in Biological Science or Chemistry with ASCP (MT/MLS/CLS or BB) and 3 years of blood bank experience OR ASCP MLT with 5 years of blood bank experience.
* Good written and verbal skills to communicate effectively with internal and external customers. Must be able to work on a team. Ability to use a wide variety of lab or medical equipment. Ability to use a personal computer and applicable software for sustained periods.
* Schedule: Must be available for daytime training during the first 6-9 months on the job. after training, the work schedule will be Overnights Mon-Fri 11 pm-7:30 am.
Available to work overtime, other shifts, early mornings, evenings, holidays, and weekends. Requires standing, stretching, stooping, and bending for extended periods. Lift, pull, push, and move objects of up to 50 pounds. May work in walk-in refrigerator/freezers for periods. Work under pressure and within time standards. Required to wear protective clothing such as lab coats, gloves, face shields, etc. when there is exposure to blood and blood products and/or where work location requires.
As part of the world's largest humanitarian network, the American Red Cross places top priority on the health and safety of our employees, volunteers, blood donors, and those who receive our aid and services. Our commitment to public health is unwavering-both during the COVID-19 pandemic and year-round.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee's professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here:Summary of Rights